Saturday 1 May 2010

Nasty comedians




This lecture was very insightful indeed and I learned a lot of interesting stuff about nasty comedians . Having been around for years,Comedians are meant to make people laugh and smile about everyday experiences,however, some comedians cross a line and aim their jokes and comedy sessions at mocking people in ways such as, sexuality, ethnicity's,where they live, or even religion( just to name a few!)
In lecture we looked at some 'nasty comedians'. One of the people we looked at was, Roy Chubby Brown. He is know for his 'bad language and obscene jokes'.(http://http//www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6937000/Roy-Chubby-Brown-denies-assault.html). Brown is famous for his racist jokes and is rarely seen on television as a result of this. He claims it is 'all just an act' and that when he takes his hat off he is a different person, he does not even swear. I think that he could be viewed as a bad person because the behaviour he exhibits is morally and socially wrong. His behaviour is disgusting to be honest, yet we find it funny. Brown, has still got an enormous fan base and argues that 'you either love him or you don't'. I think he is funny- he is a comedian he has to be, yet the content of his jokes are morally wrong and must hurt a lot of people;. I do not feel there is any excuse for this type of behaviour. I think people who are fans laugh at the time because they think it is funny but if there to look at what he actually says in his jokes they would probably feel more differently- in my opinion anyway! I think that people conform and respond( e.g. laughing at racist jokes) to fit in with peers- but at the end of the day i personally feel it makes you as bad as the person exhibiting the racists jokes.http://http//www.crackerjack.co.uk/bristol/comedy-news/comedy-interview-roy-chubby-brown-bristol-hippodrome

Personally, I feel that comedians taking the mick out of someones culture race or background etc. Is wrong. I think there needs to be a fine line on what can be said. I feel uncomfortable when I witness such behaviour and I admit some things I do conform and laugh but later think about it and feel ashamed.Many comedians also make jokes about themselves in relation, to sexuality or race etc- I think this is wrong because they should not say it full stop. I think there should be a line that should not be crossed as what comedians say about themselves or others in terms of race , culture, beliefs etc are not always accepted nor do they come across to other as the comedian intended it to be. Some people will take offence.

Overall, Nasty comedians create forms of behaviour that can be viewed as wrong withing society. This is because this behaviour can be seen as morally, ethically and culturally wrong. I feel comedians should make sure their jokes are funny but the content of the joke is not degrading or morally, ethically or culturally wrong as this could cause individuals to feel victimised and upset.What do you all think?






1 comment:

  1. In relation to this subject I have the same views as Karrie-Anne, which is that comedians sometimes cross a line with racial, sexual and edgy jokes.

    However, like Karrie-Anne I have laughed at many of them myself, but only to realise it is wrong to do so.

    Overall I think that Karrie- Anne has understood this subject very well and has spoken about it effectively.

    Elisha =]

    ReplyDelete